We can build websites using many different languages such as PHP, Python, Java, Perl, .net, etc. However, instead of writing all the logic from scratch, there are different web development frameworks available where you don’t have to waste time reinventing the wheel.
Moreover, these frameworks do a lot of the work for you such as providing various services like authentication, security, etc. Nowadays, most web development companies don’t just look for candidates who simply know a programming language.
They will prefer to hire candidates who have at least basic knowledge of one or more web development frameworks. Here mentioned below, you can learn about popular web development frameworks.
Laravel is a free and open source PHP based web development framework. It was developed by Taylor Otwell in 2011. The framework has been built by keeping the current requirements of web applications in mind. Some of these requirements are security and scalability.
Many developers who code in CodeIgniter or Yii are now migrating to Laravel because it is much more secure and better compared to these frameworks. It is the most popular framework out there when it comes to backend web development. The demand for Laravel developers is pretty high out there. It follows the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern to give beautiful websites.
Some of its advantages are
- It is easy to learn.
- It provides Eloquent ORM Support.
- Bundles and composer provide a number of libraries which provide multiple functionalities.
- It has huge community support. Any query that you may have will be quickly solved online through community help.
- It is lightweight compared to some of the other frameworks such as Django so it may not have as many functionalities.
However, that can be solved by integrating third-party apps and libraries. Some of the websites using Laravel Framework are Laracasts, Asgard CMS, Larasocial, October CMS, etc. Our company has also built an education CRM using the Laravel framework.
One language which has gained a lot of popularity in the past few years is Python. Django platform is very simple to use and secure. Also, it has a large library consisting of multiple functionalities. Django is a web development framework written in Python. It is an open source framework so you can learn python online training.
Moreover, it has a huge helpful community. It was designed to build web apps quickly and easily.
It has some advantages mentioned below:
- It comes with “batteries included” which means you don’t have to start your website from scratch.
- Python is known for its security and Django has the same feature. It includes all the pros related to Python.
On the other hand, if not developed properly, it could lead to a slow website. It is not the right choice for small, static websites with limited functionality. It might seem like there is too much programming involved in minor tasks.
Some of the popular sites using Django framework are Instagram, NASA, Pinterest, Disqus, etc.
Microsoft’s ASP.NET is one of the most popular web application frameworks out there. It is used to build data-driven web applications and is also known for its scalability. You can use various languages such as C#, Visual Basic.Net, JScript, J# to code in it.
It is not only limited to web applications but can also be used to create desktop applications. As all major frameworks, it also supports the MVC structure.
Some of the advantages of this framework are:
- Faster server side: This framework has sped up server-side processing due to processing of templates.
- They now have a simplified model for multiple related views. Now, you only have to create a new view with a different layout for the same model.
- It is easy to implement unit testing for this framework.
However, it is challenging if you’re not running the site on IIS7 server. StackOverflow, Microsoft, Dell, GoDaddy, etc. are some websites that run on ASP.NET MVC framework.
Ruby on Rails (ROR)
Ruby on Rails, simply known as ROR, is a server-side web application framework. It is written in Ruby language. GitHub, Shopify, BaseCamp, ZenDesk, etc. are some of the well-known websites using Rails. It is an MVC based framework. Ruby was meant to make programming fun for coders.
It was created in Japan where it was used to develop games. Ruby on Rails continues to bring the same feeling to developers. At the same time, it is high in demand.
It has a number of advantages:
- It promotes the best standards and practices of web development.
- You can develop applications quickly and efficiently.
Maintenance is mainly done by Google and a group of individual developers and corporations. It is very useful framework when building Single Page Applications. Developing app in angularJS framework will be a plus point for you.
There are following pros of angularJS:
- Two – way data binding: It allowed engineers to synchronized Model and View without writing additional code.
- Directives: This helped in creating dynamic and rich content by assigning special operations to the Document Object Model (DOM).
- Dependency injection has made components more reusable, easier to manage and test.
Paypal, JetBlue, Lego, Upwork, Netflix are just some of the websites using AngularJS.
Spring is an MVC framework written in Java, one of the most popular languages. It is also a highly scalable framework. Spring framework also has similar projects that can help to boost its performance such as Spring Boot, Spring Cloud and Spring Cloud Data Flow.
They are designed to build an application with minimum possible configuration. It can create different applications such as REST API, web socket, web, etc and it simplifies distributed network development. With the help of this, you can connect your system to any device’s internet such as mobile devices, sensors, wearables, etc.
It has the following advantages:
- It provides flexibility to use XML as well as Java-based annotations for configurations.
- There is no need for a server as spring comes with an inbuilt lightweight container.
- It provides modularity.
However, it is very complex. It has more than 2500 classes and 50 other tools which makes it difficult for developers to use it and has a high learning curve especially if one does not know Java. Also there are no clear guidelines in the framework which describe documentation for cross-site scripting attacks or cross-site request forgery attacks, you’ll learn a lot.
Spring is used by many famous websites for e.g. Wix, TicketMaster, BillGuard, etc. It is an amazing framework. However, it has a steep learning curve especially if you are unfamiliar with Java.
All the frameworks have their pros and cons. It is very important to choose the right framework for your application. Apart from those mentioned above, some other popular frameworks are Symfony, Yii, Codeigniter, CakePHP, etc.
However, the ones described above are definitely the most prevalent.Training in any of the above-mentioned web development frameworks will give you an advantage over other candidates.
- Python Career Opportunities: Guide To Python Programming
- Future of PHP: Will it be Always in limelight in the IT sector?